23 June 2011

On the Purpose of Blogs

"Purpose it's that little flame that lights a fire under your ass." --Brian in Avenue Q

In a general sense, I like blogs with a purpose. Some of my favorite blogs to visit have a very narrow content range, and to be perfectly frank, I like that. I like to know that when I check DulceCandy87's blog that she'll be talking about fashion or that Tuesday Morning Sketches will provide me with a new paper crafting sketch every Tuesday morning.

But right now I'm feeling a bit...purpose-less.

What does this blog do? I'm not really sure.

Back in February when I first created this blog, I thought it would be to share "the random funnies that fall out of my brain."

I have since discovered that I'm not very funny. I have a great new sympathy for comedians because being funny is hard. I don't think I'm quite cut out for it.

So what will this blog become? I don't really know. I don't have any fires under my ass, but I'll be sure to fill you in when I do.

--Erin

1 comment:

  1. I think you're funny. And interesting. And other positive adjectives. Keep blogging! I enjoy the stuff that falls out of your head, funny or otherwise. Purpose will come. :)

    A great blogging guru that I follow suggests that a good way to isolate the purpose of your blog is to look at the posts you've written and see if there's a common theme. If there is, bang, purpose. If not, you might have to dig a little deeper.

    My method in deciding to make my blog into a kind of accessible (I hope) series of lessons on rhetoric came from my own passion for the subject, coupled with the realization that a lot of people don't get this stuff, to their own detriment. So I figured a blog about rhetoric for non-grad-students could be fun to write, interesting to read (again, I hope), and serve a useful purpose.

    ReplyDelete